Wednesday, March 9, 2011

C.O.J. Beauty: Kateria Poe


Ever since I saw Kateria's huge beautiful fro and all of her creative styles, I've admired her boldness and overall natural beauty. Check out our interview below! 





Age: 22
School: NC State
Major: Women and Gender Studies


How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 2 years and 9 months! :) It Will be three years on may 13th.

What made you decide to do it?
I decided to go natural because I did not know or trust anyone in Raleigh to perm my hair. My mother and aunt worked in a hair salon and they are the only ones who did my hair. When I came to college in Raleigh I decided to stop getting perms for that reason so I grew my hair out for about 6 months then cut off the permed ends. I also have always done my own hair and a perm was one thing I was not going to risk doing myself so thought I would be better off without it. And I am, it was one of the best decisions I have made. 





What kind of reactions have you received from others when you were transitioning?
While I was transitioning I got reactions like " why did u cut your hair it was long", " whats going on with your hair" and my mom was very upset when I came home from college after my freshman year with a small Afro. Most of my friends did not like that I cut my hair but as it began to grow they loved it.



How has being natural affected you as a person?
Being natural has affected me as a person because I have learned that when you do what u want and believe, it gives others the courage to do the same. Many people have complimented me on my hair and it makes me feel good because I don't believe u have to have permed, long, or blond hair to be beautiful and it lets me know I'm not the only one who thinks that way. However I do not feel that being natural has affected me a lot because I am the same person I have always been but being in college has made me define those things I stand for more specifically.


What's your regular hair regimen?
After I wash my hair I condition it and detangle it with a Denman brush with conditioner still in. Then I put it in about 8 big two strand twist then rinse out the conditioner. I towel dry my hair then let my hair air dry before I remove the twist and style it.

What's your favorite style?
Hmmm my favorite hair style is a three strand twist out. I love the way my hair holds the rings from the twist and it's a length where it falls on it's own.

Any advice to other girls going natural? Any products you'd like to suggest?
For anyone going natural I would say go for it! Don't be afraid to try something new and to keep trying new things! With natural hair you have to try different products until you find ones that work with your hair. Do not assume that all natural products will work for you or that the products you use for your hair while permed will not work on your natural hair. Natural hair care lines can be quite expensive so do your research to find something that's good for you. 



If any ladies going natural need more advice on hair care, a great website that will answer all of your questions is Mane and Chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails