Thursday, February 3, 2011

Black [Fashion] History: Naomi Sims

In honor of Black History Month, I've decided to research and dedicate as many posts as I can to the many brilliant African-American men and women that have helped pave the way for me and others in the fashion industry. I will still do my regular posts, but for the rest of the month and beyond I hope you enjoy these mini history lessons about the greats!









(1948-2009) Naomi Sims attended the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC in 1966 and decided to try modeling to support herself. Most agencies turned her down and claimed her skin was "too dark", provoking her to contact a photographer directly--which, as a result, landed her a photo spread with New York Times. After 5 years of modeling for designers such as Halston, Fernando Sánchez, and Giorgio Sant'Angelo, Naomi retired and started a multimillion-dollar wig-making business that specialized in designs for Black women.
One word: Boss.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails